Think more

Exercise your mind. Think more.

Friday, October 05, 2007

(k)Night rider II

So, following the relative success of the first night mission, I left work yesterday planning to get into the woods to enjoy the last light of the day, but finish up my pootle around in the dark.
A chance meeting consisting of a 40 minute chat and catch up with an old friend put paid to that best laid plan. Damn and blast!
You know what though? It didn’t matter a jot really. I found myself revelling in the sight before me as I pedalled across the Clifton suspension bridge. The sun had set, but the sky near the horizon still held the warmth of the day in a bright turquoise colour, which rapidly faded into deep blue as I looked higher, where the first stars were making their appearance. This view was framed and enhanced by the arc of the suspension bridge, lit like a Christmas tree, all in bright white points of lights. Oh how I wished for a camera, preferably a decent one! Oh, and the skill to use it properly too.
Camera-less, I plodded on up the road to the entry gates to Ashton Court, arriving just in the nick of time and scooting through as the gates were locked behind me. There were obviously not going to be too many people around then!
Heading into the trees it proved to be even darker than a couple of nights ago, but thankfully much drier, both in the air and under my tyres. True to my purpose I pressed on, keeping a far improved pace over the last outing. It seemed that I had suddenly come to terms with what I would be able to see and managed to keep a better eye on the trail at the limit of the patch of light in front. Less in the way of surprises allowed me to get closer to daylight pace. Still a gear or two down, but much better and even more fun!
However, about 30 minutes into the off road riding, I still felt I should be faster. That was until I saw two other people on a parallel trail. They had pretty good lights by the look of it; I saw them easily through the trees. My giddy aunt but they were slow! I know the trail they were riding and it’s quite clear and easy. Perhaps I should cease with the berating of myself then.
The ride passed smoothly and silently, apart from the occasional bat and a few birds flitting around in the tree tops. No falling off, a few rear wheel slides when the concentration slipped, but no major mishaps. I think I quite like riding through the woods in the dark you know. It’s a different experience and a different challenge. Still, looking forward to a good blast round in the daylight at the weekend though . . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home