Think more

Exercise your mind. Think more.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Winter biking

Last night I fell in love, all over again. My RockShox Revelation forks. Oh how I adore them!
It was the first after dark mountain bike trip of the season. Off I wobbled, into the Ashton Court woods at 7.15 on a damp October evening. Out of the woods it was nearly dark, under cover of the trees it was really dark. As I bounced my way over the first few tree roots I noticed something marvellous. The lit area in front of me was staying on the trail, not flying off into the trees and undergrowth. Could it be that I was going to be able to see where I was going?! Fantastic. There I was slipping and sliding around on the autumnal wet leaves and mud in the black of night and still generally able to see where I was heading. The tunnel of light before me lit up far enough into the distance to pull up where friendly walkers had thrown logs across the trail (it's not unusual as Tom Jones would have it), the trees arching over a ribbon of dirt which disappeared into the gloom.
I returned an hour later, muddy but grinning. A sense of achievement at not falling off , which I can normally manage in the bright light of a summer day on a dry and dusty trail.
Just two things to do now. First, go faster. Second, get a helmet mounted light so that I can look at where I am about to go, as well as where I'm currently going.
Winter? No problem. Light up your life (and the woods) . . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home