Think more

Exercise your mind. Think more.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Things and stuff

I have been gently musing on a couple of general rules of life recently.
As always, the warmer, sunnier weather brings forth a very special breed in greater numbers than I have become accustomed to. I speak of none other than the car/van driver with more amplification than horsepower in their vehicle. It strikes me that a simple law of acoustics can be derived from this phenomenon.
The law is that the quality of the music in vehicles can generally be held to be inversely proportional to the volume of said music. Now I am not sure exactly what this relationship is, but I suspect it may be exponential rather than linear and therefore the equation would require a little modification if I were to write it out. My reasoning is that given that only a certain volume will ever be (reasonably) achievable, the quality may still continue to deteriorate. For example, I have never heard anyone playing Jive Bunny at ear splitting volumes.
Another general law of life, which I believe to be true through personal experience, has to do with keys. Basically, the more keys you have, the more complicated your life is.
If you only have a single front door key, life is pretty simple by my reckoning. If you add a bike lock key, you now have a bike to maintain and worry out. When you had no bike, if you couldn’t go somewhere, you couldn’t go. Simple. Ok. So now add vehicle keys. Now there are MOT’s, insurance, speeding, petrol, servicing and all sorts of other things to worry about. Now add keys to the office. That means you have assumed a level of responsibility at work where you are expected to be at the office when no one else is there. Life is getting more complicated by the moment isn’t it?
I sometimes wish I had fewer keys again.
Lastly for today a short rant about abbreviations and their misuse. It’s only a simple thing, but if people are going to use abbreviations, they should at least have the good grace to understand what they mean. Saying things like "a CD disc” is guaranteed to annoy me. What they are in effect saying is "a compact disc disc". You get the idea and I had to get it off my chest.
There we are. Bit of a rant really wasn’t it?! All of it points to one thing. I need to think more – but about other things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home