Think more

Exercise your mind. Think more.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Back in black

Having missed out on Tuesday night’s biking due to feeling rubbish, out I went last night instead. After the inevitable delays, I missed getting out in the last of the light by a long chalk. Inky dark it was at 7:30 when I finally reached Ashton Court. I attempted to carry out my usual pre-ride bike check over, but realised it was pointless – especially since I couldn’t be bothered to remove my front lights to use them as torches.
There had been no shortage of rain on Tuesday, so I was expecting big puddles and loads of mud. Right then, best drop the tyre pressure a bit. Down the pressure went from fnmpf psi to fbapbf psi. All very helpful; scientifically measured and calculated of course. Off down the trail we go then. Hmm, surprisingly un-muddy. A bit of standing water, but not slimy. Sweet. Best pick the pace up a bit I suppose. Fortunately my legs had made a minor recovery from their pathetic state at the weekend and I could actually push on a bit. Still not an impressive pace you understand, but forward motion involving some effort at least.
There seemed to be no one else at all around. I couldn’t see or hear anyone in the woods around me. Until heading up a “fire road” (sort of) section. I saw lights ahead and heard voices which seemed to be a bunch of kids. When a met them coming the other way, they were a much more annoying bunch than kids though. It was a group of about 15 or so adults out for a night time run along the wider trails of the woods. Unfortunately they were the sort of adults who take great glee in pretending that they are still children out on a cub scout adventure. You know the types. All over excited and making stupid comments. Having become accustomed to being in the woods and feeling quite alone, all I wanted to do was have at them with a belaying pin, or maybe a marlinspike. I must have been feeling a bit nautical. However, sense reigned and I put the cranks to good use and got away from them as fast as I could.
Apart from the adids (opposite of kidults), it was all very pleasant. Didn’t even fall off. Having said that, I came mighty close on a couple of occasions and if had been more weary I probably would have come a cropper. But I had a thought as I was weaving through the trees last night about how night riding works. Well, night riding with my lights anyway. It’s a kind of visual and memory patchwork which creates an overall vision of what is coming ahead. As the handlebars weave around and the bike leans around corners, you have a constantly variable section of trail which is visible. Keeping your eyes ahead and looking up the trail, or where you think the trail is going. The decisions you make and the adjustments made are based on patching together the various bits you have seen in the last few seconds and your subconscious memory of the trail. There are a few areas where I have been going wrong consistently and I made a conscious effort to sort those out in daylight at the weekend. For those couple of areas, I was fine last night. Knitting all of this information together, you can finally start to feel more comfortable.
Can’t wait to try out a brand new trail in the dark. Anything could happen . . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home